A heart valve surgery is conducted to replace or repair heart valves that are diseased. Heart valves control the flow of blood to and from the heart. They open to let blood flow through and close when blood flow is prevented to flow backwards.
There are four valves in the heart:
- Mitral valve
- Aortic valve
- Pulmonic valve
- Tricuspid valve.
The valve that is most commonly replaced is the aortic valve. The usual valve that is repaired is the mitral valve. One important consideration for patients is Aortic and Mitral Valve Replacement Cost in India. It is rarely that a pulmonic valve or tricuspid valve is replaced or repaired.
In case of open heart surgery, a big surgical cut is made by the surgeon in your breast bone to access the aorta and the heart. Meantime, you will be attached to a lung-heart bypass machine. When you are attached to such a machine, your heart is stopped temporarily. This machine performs the function of the heart, getting rid of carbon dioxide and adding oxygen.
But today there are minimally invasive techniques in which surgery is done through tiny cuts than an open heart surgery or by a catheter injected via the skin. Various surgical techniques are used, including Robotic surgery and Percutaneous surgery.
Before heart valve surgery, you will be required to prepare for hospital stay.
PRE-ADMISSION TO HOSPITAL:
Much in advance to surgery you must meet with surgeon and your medical team. They will educate you about the surgery. They will also provide instructions for preparing and recovering from surgery. They may even provide you a video about the typical procedure. This is the occasion to clear all your doubts about the surgery.
One important procedure in pre-admission is to provide your informed consent for the procedure. Your medical team will apprise you of risks of the surgery such as:
- Heart attack
- Kidney failure
You must sign the consent form with the doctor and at this point, you can address any worries.
- Preliminary tests like blood test, ECG
- Taking bath with anti-septic soap
- Shaving of hair from chest
- For avoiding risks with anesthesia, you must make medical team aware of your medical history like any previous surgeries or any food or medicine allergies.
- Bring a list of medicines currently taken
- In days before surgery, eat healthy food, get adequate rest and refrain from excessive activity of strenuous nature.
- Doctor will give advice for day before surgery. This includes medicines you can take and refraining from consumption of water or food on the previous night.
- Prior to surgery, you will be put under general anesthesia. This will be administered through a mask on your face or intravenously. Because of this, you will sleep through the entire procedure and will not feel any sensation.
- After making cuts in your chest, the surgeon will either repair the valve or replace a damaged valve with an artificial one.
This is how you prepare for a heart valve surgery. One cause for comfort is the low heart valve replacement cost in India. This is attracting medical tourists from around the world to seek treatment in India.